NECA is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop standards using a "canvass" (consensus body) process. The canvass process is used to approve the creation, revision, reaffirmation, or withdrawal an American National Standard (ANS).
ANSI requires that American National Standards, like NEIS, be produced by consensus, which signifies the concurrence of more than a simple majority, but not necessarily unanimity. Consensus requires that all views and objections be considered, and that an effort be made toward their resolution.
For NEIS, consensus is achieved through a balloting process. NECA has at least one public review period for those who would like to participate in the standards development process and weren't able to participate in the canvass balloting process.
View a complete description of the ANSI balloting procedures for NEIS.
Participating in the Public Review of NEIS®
NEIS was created through cooperation from the entire electrical industry, and its success depends on continued involvement from the industry.
Participation in the standards development process is open to all persons who are directly and materially affected by the proposed standard. Participating in the public review process is not contingent upon NECA membership, however only the Standard Consensus Body is permitted to vote on the approval of the Standard. NECA reserves the right to incorporate public comments at their discretion.
Here is a list of standard currently open for public review, please click on the Standard you wish to comment on.
NEIS® OPEN FOR PUBLIC REVIEW:
- NECA 1-20XX, Standard for Good Workmanship in Electrical Construction.
- NECA 90-20XX, Recommended Practice for Commissioning Building Electrical Systems
- NECA 121-20XX, Standard for Installing Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable Types NM, NMC, NMS and Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable Type UF
- NECA/EGSA 404-20XX, Recommended Practice for Installing Generator Sets
- NECA 406-20XX, Standard for Installing Residential Generator Sets
- NECA 408-20XX, Standard for Installing and Maintaining Busways
- NECA 411-20XX, Standard for Installing and Maintaining Low-Voltage Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPSs)
- NECA 412-20XX, Standard for Installing Photovoltaic Systems
- NECA 701-20XX, Standard for Energy Management, Demand Response and Energy Solutions