PRACTICE STATEMENT: Protocols related to the effective inspection of insulating
All rubber protective equipment shall be inspected prior to each use. All rubber/plastic insulating equipment shall be inspected for any damage, wear or contamination that would compromise its ability to insulate or isolate the linemen from different potentials. Applicable service dates shall be observed. If upon inspection insulating protective equipment is found to be defective the equipment shall be identified and removed from service.
• Provides for uniform inspection guidelines that can be applied industry wide
ASTM F478 – 1999 Standard Specification for In-Service Care of Insulating Line
Hose and Covers
ASTM F479 – 2001 Standard Specification for In-Service Care of Insulating
ASTM F496 – 2002 Standard Specification for In-Service Care of Insulating
Gloves and Sleeves
ASTM F1236 – 2001 Standard Guide for Visual Inspection of Electrical
Protective Rubber Products
National Electric Safety Code (NESC, ANSI C2 – Part 4)
Frequently Asked Questions: Pre-Use Inspection of Rubber Goods
1. Who does this inspection?
• A qualified crew member shall perform a pre-use inspection prior to each time insulating rubber goods are used.
2. Why are there two dates on insulating rubber goods?
• One is the test date, and where applicable there will be an issue date.
3. Which date should I use?
• This will depend on the contractor and state that you are working in. If you are not sure you should ask your supervisor.