A Qualified Observer shall be designated to provide timely warning while working on or within the minimum approach, including extended reach, of energized conductors or equipment (systems at and above 600V).
A member of the crew shall be identified to act as a Qualified Observer to ensure clearances are maintained, PPE, and effective cover-up is installed.
- A Qualified Observer shall be designated to provide timely warning while working:
- On or within the minimum approach including extended reach, of energized conductors or equipment (systems at and above 600V);
- When using mechanical mobile equipment near energized conductors;
- When moving energized conductors
- A Qualified Observer is defined as is an electrically qualified worker that can identify all hazards present to the crew working energized conductors. The Qualified Observer shall be capable of:
- Distinguishing exposed live parts;
- Identify nominal voltages;
- Determine minimum approach distances;
- Knowing safe work practices for working on, or near, energized lines and equipment;
- Recognize electrical hazards to which workers will be exposed and skills and techniques to control those hazards;
- Rendering immediate assistance in case of an accident
- The Qualified Observer shall not perform other duties and all work shall stop if the Qualified Observer can no longer perform observer duties.
- The term “effective cover up” is used to describe the installation of phase-to- phase rated insulating protective cover on energized conductors and/or equipment of different potentials when the lineman is within reaching distance or in areas extended by handling conductive objects.
- The term “extended reach” is used to describe being within five feet of energized conductors and/or equipment or having a conductive object within five feet of energized conductors and/or equipment.
- Eliminate unintentional contact with energized components while working on, or near lines and equipment.
- Eliminate injuries from unrecognized hazards or changes in conditions.
- Clarify duties and provides guidance as to when observers are necessary.
- Provides guidance on observer qualifications.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who may be a Qualified Observer?
- Any crew member who meets the criteria of a qualified observer.
- While personnel are performing tasks that would require a Qualified Observer, can the Qualified Observer have other duties?
- No. While performing the functions of a qualified observer, the qualified observer shall not perform other tasks.